eMachines Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandiyan

In Runtime
My sister in law was working on her PC (eMachines) the other day and the computer just turned off. No shut down or anything. She tried turning it back on and nothing happened. I thought it might be the power supply so I put in an extra one that I had and the thing still won't turn on. The mobo light comes on but nothing else. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. I know this is pretty gerneric but thought I would turn to the people that have helped me out in the past. Only other thing I could think of would be a CPU fan. But not sure how I test it to see if thats the problem. Thanks in advance.

Have you checked that its not the power button? Trace it back to the motherboard, and remove the wire, then touch the 2 pins with a screwdriver end or something similar. This will short the pins and send a signal to turn pc on.

Was she working on it when it was on? She could have knocked a capacitor (sp?) or something when she was working on it.

cabbspapp said:
Was she working on it when it was on? She could have knocked a capacitor (sp?) or something when she was working on it.

She was paying bills online when it cut off.

Raffaz said:
Have you checked that its not the power button? Trace it back to the motherboard, and remove the wire, then touch the 2 pins with a screwdriver end or something similar. This will short the pins and send a signal to turn pc on.

Which cable is for the power button? There are three cables coming from there, red, blue, and black. Just want to make sure I an doing it to the right cable.

The pins on the mobo will be marked it will probably say PWR next to the pins, then you remove the wire connected to them, it should just lift off. Then again it is an emachine, not the best lol. :)

Raffaz said:
The pins on the mobo will be marked it will probably say PWR next to the pins, then you remove the wire connected to them, it should just lift off. Then again it is an emachine, not the best lol. :)

Well I did that and it didn't do anything. I did however put the original PSU back in the PC and no mobo light. But the old PSU doesn't have a power switch like most of them do. So looks like I am back at square one again.

So you dont get a light on the mobo with the old PSU, but you get a light with the new PSU? If thats right, then its possible that your first PSU has blown and damaged ya mobo.

Raffaz said:
So you dont get a light on the mobo with the old PSU, but you get a light with the new PSU? If thats right, then its possible that your first PSU has blown and damaged ya mobo.

The old mobo doesn't have an on off switch in the back so when I plug it in should the light come of if it was to come on? Also if the mobo is blown would the light still come on? How would one tell if the mobo is in fact blown. Sorry for the 20 questions. Just frustrated with not knowing what the problem is. I thank you for all of your help.

i have an eMachines and the same thing happened to me. what i did was Raffaz said. trace the wires from the power button back to the mobo.
untitledfh7.png

the power button wires connect to the mobo where the arrow is pointing. they are under the white wires that you see in the picture. (sorry its a bad pic :\)

there you should check to see if they seated correctly. you might have to switch some of them around like i had to get the computer started but i did it with a price. my light to my power button burnt out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom