EIDE HDD question... really quick I promise

AlStar250

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, so I did go ahead and buy a new computer and I was going to spring for an EIDE to USB HDD case so I can add the 160gb HDD out of the old one as extra space, plus have access to the last 3 years of my life. When going through the MB specs it said I have an EIDE connector on the board, and when I cracked it open there it was! My question is this, is the best way to add it to go and buy and EIDE cable, leave it set to master (as it's the only device on the cable) and let the BIOS auto detect it? Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!

What are you using for the present OS drive EIDE or Sata? That could be asked about the optical drive as well.

If the OS drive is also ide and the optical a sata drive then you would slave the 160 to the host. If the optical drive is also ide with the host a sata you would slave the 160 to that instead.

If both optical and host OS drive are ide then you would need the external enclosure unless the board sees two ide channels. Most now only see one.

Back
Top Bottom