In effect, Backup PSU Question

Luke_Uk_Baggy

In Runtime
Hi all,

Havent really done this much before with hardware.

Been asked by a user, to basically have some sort of back up PSU (Or similar)

Its purpose is basically to contiue running the computer for a while (say 5 mins max) after a power cut (Apparently they recieve power cuts once every 3-4 months) and they have had a BSOD / HD Problem that I've had to fix.

What do you guys suggest? as all I could think of at the time was just a surge protector adapter (for cheapness)

In essense, a small 'Battery' to sit in the case, and when the PSU Suddenly loses power, to revert to this secondary source, in order to carry on running. (This could also then trigger an alarm / light or whatever and could also double up as a warning if the PSU itself gave up life)

Pretty sure theres stuff out there, just want experiences / good and bad things to look out for, and rough prices.

Thanks in advance :)

You mean a UPS (uninteruptable Power Supply).

I'd say if it's an expesive rig, then get one. APC is the biggest supplier out there. Top quality stuff too.

UPS's are ideal, because it not only protects from Brown outs, Blackouts and surges but it also conditions the AC supply.

And, guess what I have lying in the cupboard under the stairs doing nothing? An APC 1400 UPS (max 900Watt) UPS. This is a decent heavy duty one. I got it from a job at a BT telephone exchange (ask no questions - be told no lies). If your interested, and in the UK (preferably Scotland), we could come to some arrangement if your seriously considering getting one.

Btw, that offer is open to everyone.

CW.

'Have' Sounds like a cheap option to be honest :D

Im from the UK yeah, closest City is Brum, Brother lives in L'Pool..

How much would you want for it, or you just considering offers?

I dont want to necessarily pay a massive amount, or where-as it might be more economically viable for me to pick up something online say 2-300 Watts or w/e, that would also meet the user requirements, rather than paying an extra say £40 (ball park figure) that may not be of benefit to me another way. Dont wanna rip you off either! (From sparse recollection, The users system is Phenom II x 4 965, With a lil OC, some DDR3 4GB, average Graphics card etc etc)

Had read up on APC a little, but I also value experience in this particular brand and other brands, that people have used or head things about.

Thanks for the replies so far btw guys.

Well, the only problem with Liverpool or Brum is the distance (I thought maybe you were in Scotland, just with one of your favourite quotes in another thread being from Braveheart).

I mean, I would be more than willing to let it go for £30 no problem, as it's only sitting here doing nothing. And it's more than capable of handling your mates Phenom system. It's originally from a server setup, so it's no wimp.

But, it's also really really heavy (lead acid battery), and it'd cost just as much again to post it, never mind deliver it by driving.

What I could do if your happy to wait 2 months, is deliver it on my way to Oxford in a couple of months time. I'm heading down there for work at Didcot power station during the summer.

If thats not soon enough for you, then I can only recommend you buy one and get it delivered. I did get a quote for delivery (as I was going to put it on ebay) and it was almost £30 via Royal Mail. You'd be best getting a new one for the warranty, cheaper delivery and the fact it's brand new.

Let me know what you think.

CW.

Umm sounds ok Chris,

But I dont want to lay a guarantee either way. If its possible, maybe ill leave it on the backburner.

If my user needs the solution before then, Or i find some other amazing deal, then i will probably have to move for something else.

Alternatively, if you get an offer that you want to take, or decide to put it on ebay or use it else where or w/e thats fine.

If it comes closer to the time, and were still both ok ill probably take you up allthough cant promise.

Cheers for your time too :)

Back
Top Bottom