Editting existing partition?

RyanZec

Solid State Member
I want to install ubuntu on my computer along with my current installation of Windows XP. Now when i try to install ubuntu it does give me the option to repartition my HD but when it tries to, it just says there is an error and then stops. Does anyone know any free tool that i can try to partition my hd on windows and then try to install ubuntu?

partition magic. its not free but if i remember correctly theres a free trial, besides theres other ways to get it ;)
what error do you get on ubuntu anyway? it should work.

it just says there was a error writing to the storage device. I am not going to spend 50 dollars so i can partition my computer once and not going to get the software by other means. Just wanted to know if there was another option. I am getting a new computer in about 2 weeks anyways so i guess i can wait if no other others are available.

I have searched the ubuntu forums and going to try to defrag my computer and then try to install again.

if that doesnt work then try acronis disk suite.
i tried vistas partition manager partition magic and they wouldnt let me resize my hardrive partition but acronis did.

i now swear by that program.

again its not free but as Dude said they are ways to get round stuff like that PM me for T link.

if you dont know what a T link is or what T stands for then please dont PM me about it i dont wish to instroduce you to my bad habits

partition magic. its not free but if i remember correctly theres a free trial, besides theres other ways to get it ;)
what error do you get on ubuntu anyway? it should work.

You cannot do much of anything with the trial.

some software called GParted burn the image to a disk and enter the disk into your computer. run your computer with the disk in then a dialog box will open and you can do what you want from there.

Back
Top Bottom