ECC-enabled memory...

You don't need it. Registered RAM only works with ECC-compatible motherboards, and it's expensive. It's mainly used for servers, because it's more stable than Non-ECC RAM.

mammikoura - even if ECC RAM was more stable, he wouldn't be able to use it. It only works in ECC-RAM motherboards, which are normally server mobos.

Yeah, I'm considering a Power Mac when Woodcrest comes out... which is a sever proc, which would need a server mobo.

prosser13 said:
mammikoura - even if ECC RAM was more stable, he wouldn't be able to use it. It only works in ECC-RAM motherboards, which are normally server mobos.

I know, but he might be building a totally new comp, and so he could get a server mobo if he wants to. :p

prosser13 said:

Yeah, that's what I said in my first post.

Just curious, what is the difference between ECC and non-ECC memory? I know servers use it but why is that?

troy272 said:
Just curious, what is the difference between ECC and non-ECC memory? I know servers use it but why is that?

ECC is error checking and protects against some gamma rays coming from outer space.

Im 100% dead serious.

Back
Top Bottom