DVD Burner Problems...please help

joker_king16

Baseband Member
I'm trying to burn some files onto some DVD's but my DVD player wont do it...it's reading DVD movies fine, but for some reason whenever I put in a blank DVD-R into the drive, it won't recognize the DVD/won't burn anything onto it. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the drivers...any ideas?

you sure its a DVD-RW drive?? Look for a RW symbol on the tray door along with a compact disc Rewritable symbol as well. You may have what is called a combo drive that plays dvd's but only burns cds.

CrossCech said:
you sure its a DVD-RW drive?? Look for a RW symbol on the tray door along with a compact disc Rewritable symbol as well. You may have what is called a combo drive that plays dvd's but only burns cds.

Yes, I have burned DVDs before with this drive, it has only been a problem in the last few months..

uninstall the drive in device manager then scan for new devices and let windows reintall the drive.

what's the brand/model of dvd burner you got then? How old is it? Could it be under warranty still? Are you able to burn cd's, even though you're struggling with dvd's? Dishdog made a good suggestion ... I'd do that first, then re-apply manufacturer's drivers (if XP doesnt do it for you). Last thing I'd check is firmware ... perhaps it needs to be reflashed or flashed with an updated firmware version ... these can be found at your burner's website. Keep in mind though, flashing your drive with new firmware may void any warranty your drive may be under. BTW, 16x dvd burners are getting to be relatively cheap now ... $45 or so. If you can afford a new one, try to follow a football metaphor ... give yourself 3-4 serious attempts at fixing the problem, then if you cant ... PUNT (buy a new one :) ).

i should right down that saying,lol. i know a lot of football ppl that would get a laugh out of it.

are the disk you have compatible with your burner?
I'm no expert but I have seen some blank dvd disks have a lable stating "not compatible with all burners"
especially the dual layer disks.
not all dvd burners can use dvd+r
etc....

Back
Top Bottom