Dual Channel RAM

pcgodintraining

In Runtime
I have been told by numerous sources that dual chanell RAM is the "Only" way to go when setting up a gaming machine. I have also been told that I should look for an m-board that will take up to 4 gigs of dual channell, ddr400 RAM. However, I am finding it difficult to find an m-board that will accept Dual Channel RAM, or has more than three DIMM slots. Is it that these m-boards are significantly more expensive? Can someone explain DC RAM and things like DDR3 etc. or give me a link to an article or site that would inform me? I need to pick an MB!

No, dual channel is not the only way to go when assembling a gaming rig. There isn't that big of a performance increase anyway (I think like a 10% max increase or something) and it's really not required when playing games. If you have the money then of course go for it, but it isn't something that has to be done.

Is there a huge price difference? Personally, from a gamers perspective, what is a "must have" in terms of RAM? I want to start with a stick of 512 DDR 400mhz and then add another stick of the same in a few months, when I get a new vid card, and so, will need the speed for more advanced games. I hear that two 256 modules works slightly better than one stick of 512, but when most mid-range motherboards only have 2 DIMM ports, and I want more than 512 RAM, it seems logical to use a stick of 512 so I can add more. Does that make sense?

yah it makes sense because gaming isn't the same without 1024mb's of ram . if you want good ram get something running at 633 mhz thats the best as far as gaming is concerned

And if I were going to buy a new budget video card I would diffenitly go with the new 6600 gt pci-e w/nforce4 sli chipset incase you decide one video card isn't enought lol , but the apg version are awesome too!

Back
Top Bottom