Dual Channel Memory

MikeReiner

Golden Master
If you have a motherboard that supports dual channel memory, do you have to have
2 or more memory sticks? or will one work? (as in just the motherboard working, not referring
to whether dual channel will or not)

Yeah the motherboard will work perfectly fine with only one stick. Don't worry about that :)

Its best if you do use two though to get the benifits it can provide, but its not 100% nessessary.

Kage said:
Yeah the motherboard will work perfectly fine with only one stick. Don't worry about that :)

Its best if you do use two though to get the benifits it can provide, but its not 100% nessessary.

Just a matter of me being really cheap. heh

lol its best to have both channels going tho if ur looking for performance... like gaming etc..

if he only wanted one stick wouldnt that mean he would be using it for more simpler things like word processing, searching the web, ext.. so you could prolly save money on a processor because you wouldnt need a super good one of them or even a super good graphics card. Only under them circumstances otherwise if it was a gaming comp i would also recommend to sticks. Just form my recent readings. Im new to building comps too.

LOL one stick will do fine, but it will have to match up with ur what ur mobo supports. like if u memory is ddr 400 pc 3200 then ur mobo must support that speed.

Not really. If you have a single stick of 1GB RAM, it's plenty to do a lot of things. Dual Channel Memory can help improve the RAM speed, because this technique doubles it. In order to use Dual Channel memory, your motherboard has to be capable of supporting this setup and you will also need two equal memory modules.

Well actually MikeReiner, you can buy dual channel RAM in sets of 2, and they only tend to be a few quid more than the standard 2 on their own.

So getting 1GB, you could get 2 dual channel 512mb sticks for about the same price.

Back
Top Bottom