Downloads Cannot Download

glixon765

Baseband Member
Ok I'm a pretty serious gamer and I like to download demos before I buy a game. But everytime I download somewhere in between start and finish in comes up with an error message like this (I will use the MoH Airborne demo for example) "Internet Explorer cannot download MOHAirborneDemo.exe from gamedaily.newaol.com. The connection with the server is reset"

I only started to have this problem this past couple of weeks before it would only happen like once every ten times, now it is everytime I try to download this error message comes up. What do you guys think the problem is? And what can I do to fix the problem? Thank you.

check for viruses, if you cant run your software boot into safe mode

Interesting, it could be a virus that exploited a security flaw in IE and now is reeking havoc with it.

If you use NORTON or Mcafee, try using AVASTS or AVG's free anti-virus scan in conjunction with NORTON or Mcaffe. As the person above me said do all scans in safe mode; as in safe mode only system critical processes are loaded so viruses don't have a chance to hide themselves.

If no viruses are detected in safe mode, then I would just recommend trying a different browser. The many similarities between FireFox and IE make it almost seamless to move between the two. Plus not many people target security flaws in FireFox because of it's smaller market-share; so if this is a virus problem your computer can't detect this is less likely to happen again if you switch to a different browser.

Run your spyware programs too, this could be the result of nasty spyware that your antivirus software didn't pickup. Try using multiple virus scanners, often one doesn't do the trick. Just make sure they don't conflict with each other.

It could also be due to a recent "Windows Automatic Update". While unlikely, if you don't have any new files that you absolutely have to keep, (if you do just back them up), and try a windows System Restore to a date when you know you weren't having these problems.

EDIT: Uninstall Internet explorer, then use a different browser to download the newest Internet Explorer and install it. Don't hit the reinstall button, make sure you fully uninstall it, then fully install a new clean version.

Ok I've Virus scanned multiple times with multiple programs. I found no viruses, just a bunch of tracking cookies, could those cookies be the problem? Or are my downloading problems caused by something other than a virus, spyware, or cookies? Any thoughts, I really want to fix this problem.

Back
Top Bottom