Is this doable?

willdacanucker

Beta member
Right now I have a Dell Dimension 1100 with a Celeron D. The mobo in there now has zero pci-e slots,and the on board 'extreme' intel p.o.s video is horrible, which makes it damn near impossible for gaming. SO here is my idea for the time being. I am limited on funds, this being x-mas and plus we are moving cross country in April. So here goes. I want to keep the hard drive, the cd drive,the memory, and the Celeron D. I want to put it all on a Asus P5GD1 mobo.http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P5GD1-FM2-BULK&cat=MBB
I want to over clock the Celeron ( I have seen speeds up to 4ghz on other sites),add 1 gig of memory to the 512mb I already have and add a NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS 256MB video card. The reason I want this mobo is because when I get a few more funds available, I would like to put in a dual core in place of the Celeron. Does this sound good? Is this doable? Am I missing anything?

as far as i know its not doable, because the board you are looking at is a 775 socket and i want to say the celeron D proc is a 478 motherboard, and those dont go together. So first off you would need to look for a motherboard that supports socket 478 proc's, and make sure it also supports the FBS of your proc which im guessing would be 533mhz, and also with the board you are getting make sure it supports the same type of ram you want/have, the board you showed with the link supports DDR-400 or also know as PC-3200, and to check what type of RAM you have, there should be a label on the RAM stick, saying what kind it is, once you know all that look for a motherboard that supports you CPU socket, and FBS, also if it supports the type of RAM you have, post a reply once you know all those things

See, all along I assumed it was a 775. Now you have me doubting my self. I just did some research and the Intel site lists my processor Intel Celeron-d 335 as either 775 OR 478. Now I am confused. It is a Prescott 256 Celeron-d 335.

youd probably be better off waiting for those funds to buy all that stuff at once.

well how recently have you got the computer, if i would say more than 2 years old now then it is a 478 but if its a newer model then it would be either or, you can just also just go to dell go to the support page and type in your serial # and look at your computer specs that way

i would say if you assumed that it was a 775 i would just do a quick check, because its not worth buying it and having it not work, but yea if your proc it a 775 and the mobo supports the FBS of the proc its all good, and you can go ahead and buy it

Back
Top Bottom