Do we really need those beefy powersupply's?

Yes you do need a beefy power supply. I have the Corsair AH850 in my desk rig.
I have been building computers for many years and I have found that if you don't plan for worse case scenario with what you installed and then plan ahead, you'll be shelling out for a bigger power supply later on.

Video cards are not the only major current draw in a computer. You have to figure the CPU, RAM, HDD(s), video card(s), sound card, optical drive(s), wireless card, mother board, fans, and of course, whatever bling bling you've added in.
You have to figure with all devices running full bore that there's some watts being sucked down. If you speculate on what you need with out doing the math, you're going to come up short and be in the market for a bigger power supply.

Why buy twice when you can plan ahead and only buy once?

I agree to that you need to calculate on the other hardwares draw at load too. But as in the first video where this guy have a ton of fans. LED stuff a powerful video card and cpu etc. And then stress test the rig in a very tuff way. And still the rig only use about 350W or something like that? This till amazes me and makes me wonder about psu rekommendations. And the guy with the 450W seems to manage well too.

One should also have in mind that how the guy in the first video stress the rig, will not be even remotely close to every day computing and gaming.

Like Seti said its better to buy something powerful than something that will be horribly under powered and lots of your parts will want that extra bit of oomph.

Let me give you an analogy that comes from my flying hobby.

You buy a quad kit that only requires a 6 channel transmitter and receiver to work. Later on you get a 6 rotor kit that requires 8 to 9 channels to fly and work your camera and gimbal. Now you have to buy another transmitter and receiver that has all the channels you need.

Whereas if you had bought the 8 or 9 channel set up first, you wouldn't have to be buying them now.

Back
Top Bottom