Do I need a NAS?

Lonfdon

Beta member
I live with my computers. All the time. But I like to change things up between sitting at my desktop, and lounging around with my 2 laptops.

I would like some networked storage to hold my main storage drive, a 1TB HDD, but I want access to it to be as fast as if it was connected directly to the computer I'm using, because I will want to flick through photos and watch movies. Please forgive my ignorance on the topic...

It is all likely to be in 1 room, but the flexibility of wireless would be really nice. Will a wireless set up be fast enough, and affordable?

What do you think would be best?

Wireless Home NAS is not to expensive (if that is what you mean), you can get a 1TB for around £100

MWSnap00632-1.png

Yeah.

Maybe someone with experience setting up NAS systems can recommend something. There seem to be a lot of critical reviews of most top NAS out there...

I have a Virgin Media superhub (made by netgear), and an older 2011 white Netgear branded modem router.... (and a 2010 model as well). All b/g routers. None have N. Would N help? :confused:

Reviews of a WD NAS are not encouraging
"main complaint... this NAS is painfully slow... with anything wirelessly"
WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Cheaper Seagate
Seagate STAM1000200 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex Wireless Home NAS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Back
Top Bottom