Difference between these 2?

Flyboy1

Solid State Member
(Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache EM64T

or

(Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition @ 2.93GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

Both are the same price, however I'm unsure which is a better investment for the long run, and what the difference there is between 4 processors at 2.66GHz and 2 at 2.93 GHz, is there a meaning to the reason the quad-core is lower?

The difference is one has 4 processors, and one has only 2.

The decision on which to get depends on what you're using the computer for. If you do a lot of multitasking, get the quad core.

get the quad core becouse think of it like this
4 cores means double the prossesing power of a dual core
pluse u can always over clock becouse core 2 duos over clock like crazzy
just make sure u get a good cpu fan

I think I might do that, but I still don't see the reason why the quad cores run at a slower Frequency. Is it a power thing or something? And would i need like a 1000W power supply to run those?

(and 2 8800's at the same time)

no a 600 would be good unless your a game
if your a gamer 700 should be good unless your sli your cards or crossfire
and im not sure y its lower
but if u get that really good zalman cooler every one talks about u should be able to over clock that beast to 3.2 and more no prob
that or liquid but if your staying stock dont even try to over clock
quads make a lot of head but they over clock like crazy ive seen 4 ghz on air and 10 ghz on liquid nitrogen

The Quad core is VERY difficult to overclock. You need to mess around with different voltages and it will not clock as high as duals. So you need to choose which is your higher priority.

not really, You can use a Corsair HX620 and it will work. It will just be stressed a lot ;)

They are 8800 GTS' for my little brother's computer.
Would I still need a 900W+ PSU or would the 750-800 be enough?

(X6800 Processor btw, he said he doesn't want a quad-core bc they don't overclock as easily)

THANKS! :)

Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom