Dell Optiplex 980 upgrade

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi there,

My work computer seems to be slow when doing some CAD work, and I'm already starting to think the graphics cards are the problem. Its got 2 graphics cards and theyre both ati 3450. The reason for suspecting the graphics is that the processor is an i7 core processor with a recently upgraded ram of 12gb and the CAD software seems to lag at no end. The lag im talking about is when I move around the vector field the movement seems sluggish.
The problem is that if I were to buy a more powerful graphics i would need a better powersupply because the stock supply is like 200-300W (cant remember) and their pins are different to a normal 24pin psu.

So there is my lengthy scenario and my question is, what are my options? can I upgrade it without the need of dell upgrading it for me?

Cheers

OcUK GeForce GT 430 1024MB GDDR3 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card [NEAT4300HD01-1081F] should fit straight on to your motherboard has same connection as its PCI-e 2.0 motherboard will power it no need for anything else and you should be fine. there quite cheap and decent graphics cards by sounds of it your graphics card is bottlenecking the whole machine in other words slowing it down.

If you can list your motherboard so i can double check to make sure this can fit.

nathanmitchell,

Thanks for the response I was looking into graphics cards that require no PSU upgrade and have the motherboard details, not too sure if you can look that up since its dell.
Motherboard model : Dell Inc. 0D441T
I do believe it has a PCI-e slot considering it has 2 of them, what im worried is if I buy a low end type graphics, it could still slow down and possibly the PSU power is not enough.

hmm i see your point with wasting money best bet would be to buy one slot into the motherboard if all works fine then job done if not then look for a 500W powersupply which will be enough or vice versa getting a decent enough power supply and get a bit better graphics like GTX 260 as an idea.

i have been having a look around as well and people have been saying CAD design work is mainly on the processor and RAM which you have loads of so cant see a problem that end what so ever.

I guess I've got to check this out and see how this pans out, its one way or the other. thanks for the help, I have a mate that has a spare graphics card that is better than the current one, I'll give it a whirl and see how it performs.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom