Dell Latitude E6500 screen not working.

Vacuumfan7072

In Runtime
Yes, I know, it is a 10-year-old model. But I'm just trying to get by for now.

Anyway I am having an issue here. Well, I recently obtained a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop. When I turned it on I noticed that the screen did not turn on. I put a flashlight up to the screen and there was no image at all. It seemed to be booting; the hard disk was active and the keyboard responded. The hard drive has Linux Mint on it.

I removed the bottom panel to check the display connector, which was normal (I reseated it anyway, still didn't work.)

I'd just like to know what the probable cause for this issue is. I'm assuming a new display might be able to fix the problem, but I'm also guessing that it could be a problem on the board. I'm not sure as I've never dealt with such an issue before.

Input would be appreciated.

It would be advisable for you to search the web. There are many posts and troubleshooting guides to follow before posting. That way people can discard probable causes and help narrow down the issue, instead of running in circles trying to guess what's going on.

What have you tried other than opening it up? If the answer is nothing, search the web and report back with results and outcomes please.

I didn't want to bother with removing the whole display assembly, and I'm not sure what else there is that I can do.

That happens sometimes. That's why Google and DuckDuckGo exist.

Look around the internet and report back, please.

All right. If you searched, tell us what you tried and what happened. If you have trouble understanding something, post it here and we can give you a hand.

Did you try an external display to make sure that the board is actually putting out video? Swapping out a display in a Dell is usually not too bad.

Unfortunately displays are not just displays. There is a backlight which you do appear to have tested. If the backlight has gone you can usually see a very faint picture and shing a light, which you did, shouls enable you to see the picture a little more clearly. Then you have the screen itself. These two items, generally, come expensively separately. Then is the backl light inverter although this will give the same symptoms as a broken back light. Then, of course, there is the mother board and graphics that actually drives the screen. One of the other causes of no display is RAM. Specifically badly seated RAM modules. It might be an idea to remove the RAM modules and reseat them.

Back
Top Bottom