deleting VISTA - how to???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
hello,

this concerns 2 HDD's, each of which is partitioned once.

HDD1 - 1TB
C:\ - 200gig has VISTA
D:\ - 800gig has just files

HDD2 - 1TB
J:\ - 200gig has win7
H:\ - 800gig has just files

i have recently installed win7 (which is AWESOME!!!) on J:\ and have my earlier VISTA install on C:\.

i want to get rid of the VISTA part as its useless now and is just taking space away from me but when i tried to format C:\, the 'format' option was not available. i'm trying to do this using win7's 'computer management' system and right clicking on C:\.

1 - how can i best go about removing that partition and/or formating that partition????

2 - is there anything i need to do before removing the older VISTA installation? are there any shared files that maybe the new win7 install would use? i'm referring to documents and settings folders and such.

hope that wasn't too confusing ;) and thanks for any input!!!

I wouldn't remove Vista.....your W7 version is going to expire on June 1st. Beginning March 1st the pc will start shutting down every 2 hours.

yes, i am currently using win7.
and yes, this version will expire in 2010 at which point i will have another win7 installed, no worries. plus, my fingers are crossed that someone (billy g) comes up with a work around to the whole 'expires thing'.

yes, i am currently using win7.
and yes, this version will expire in 2010 at which point i will have another win7 installed, no worries. plus, my fingers are crossed that someone (billy g) comes up with a work around to the whole 'expires thing'.
There are workarounds for the beta versions of W7 so they don't expire (Google is your friend)....but it won't be supported by MS anymore so if you run that beta version it will be massively out of date after a while. Running an out of date OS is never a good idea.

Deleting your Vista install wont mess with your Windows 7 installation, but you may need to edit your boot.ini to remove the Vista reference.

thank you atomicRooster, much appreciated.

and where would i find that boot.ini? dida quick search and it came up with nada :(
when found, do i edit it in notepad? and do i do that before or after i delete the VISTA install?

also, i have tried to format the drive now from 'my computer' but windows would not let me :(
not sure what to do now...

error ---
'windows cannot complete the format'

Back
Top Bottom