Decided on new hardware...pls read

deepthroat

In Runtime
I have finally decided to get the socket 939 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3800+.Thanks to your posts on my last thread I didn't go with the 754.But now I have a very important question(I do not want to skimp on any hardware)

My new motherboard the Asus A8V Deluxe VIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard, supports dual channel ram with up to four gigs of memory.
My question is, Will two identical 1024 MB DDR 3200 CL3 memory modules from GEIL work on this motherboard in dual channel mode? Or do I have to buy the pairs that they sell as dual channel ram?As far as I know, any two sticks of identical ram running at the same speed can be used in dual channel mode if your board supports it.

Also, as far as latency and speed, what would be faster:2x1024 MB sticks in dual channel or 4x512 MB sticks in dual channel?

I would rather go with the 2 gig sticks because I might want 4 gigs later on.

Thank you to those that help with this dilema.

Your first question, it will work so I agree with lhuser. I believe dual channel works when you have 2 memory modules. Usually, motherboards tend to have 4 all together so I'm thinking you can have 2 dual channel setup up to 4 gig max.

As you have mentioned, the 4x512MB setup will give you 2GB total dual channel.

A mobo supporting Dual channel will "transform" your two non-dual channel...that's why they are flexible

Back
Top Bottom