Dead Mobo? How to determine?

Glenn9643

Solid State Member
New Chaintech VNF4, PCI-E graphics card, AMD 64 3000 CPU, 1G Corsair ValueSelect RAM, and Antec TruPower 480 PSU.
24-pin power connector on Mobo. 20-Pin on PSU. Connected so there are four open pins on the Mobo connector at the top, looking at it with the "latch" on the right side of the connectors.
When I power up there's no response. No fans. No beeps. I've reinstalled the CPU/heatsink, etc. and the graphics card and RAM.
Is there a way to determine where the problem lies short of another Mobo?

Psu...

You need the 24 pin power supply. It has 2 or 3 different voltages that are needed by the mother board to run. The extra 4 pins I meant.

yeah, i have a 20 pin connector in my 24 pin slot and it works fine. is your 4 pin molex connected tho the mobo? also, if that is a new motherboard you installed you should make sure it's connected to the case correctly, you might need to have spacers inbetween the mobo and case, depending on the design

I have the 4 pin molex connected (yellow/black). I've tried it outside the case with the board laying on a piece of cardboard as well as installed in the case with no difference.

Um...

In the pic it shows the blank pins at the bottom. That is if you use the pci slots as the bottom of the board. You said you have the blnk ones at the top. I have to assume you used the pci slots as the bottom of the board in your post. Have you tried moving the plug to the top of the socket?

"four open pins on the Mobo connector at the top, looking at it with the "latch" on the right side of the connectors"

Gets confusing. Mine is connected exactly as pictured in the above link, and that mobo is the same model as mine. Since the pictured setup is working I've determined it would probably be best to assume that it's connected properly and not experiment too much here. Now, back to the question. Is there a way to determine where the problem lies short of another Mobo?

do you see a lit led light anywhere on the mobo, most mobo's have them and will tell you if it's recieving power.

Back
Top Bottom