Dead CMOS battery in laptop?

defl8or

Baseband Member
Hi, my mothers laptop s acting weird. Every time Windows boots, it goes straight to the firewall settings page, the antivirus presents a welcome message and starting firefox causes the screen asking if you want to make it your default browser appears. It seems to reverting to a previous point in time as though no settings are saved, but the time is correct, which, I assume would not be he case if it was the CMOS battery. Any ideas?

:pcmad: Did you use a battery from another computer? It's not the battery. i promise.

Last edited:
Yeah, the clock thing made me think it wasn't the CMOS battery. It does take a really long time to load the personal settings (windows xp, btw) but no personal settings seem to be loaded. Every time I boot up, every program thinks it's being started for the first time. I may try deleting the user account. It's just one extra icon for the OG to click, anyway.

If the clock is fine, its not the CMOS. It very well could be a corrupted windows user account, yes. I've had this happen to me before, too, except my deal was with that AND with files.

If I were you, I wouldn't make myself nuts trying to figure it out. It could be anything from a corrupted registry setting, to mal-ware, or anything in between.

I'd just save your data, and re-install the OS, and it will all go away.

Back
Top Bottom