D:/ Drive messed up

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I told my friend to help me out and follow this guide I found on configuring my USB Drive while I searched for a DVD/Disk drive I put in my closet awhile back, I was planning on using it for my new computer. Anyways, my friend was following it and he didn't configure my USB Thumb drive to "disk 1", and went to "cmd" and then typed in "disk 1" or something and typed in "clean". I don't know what the hell happened.

I think he deleted everything on my D:/ Drive, as my D:/ Drive is completely gone under the "Hard Disks" category in Windows XP. Windows won't recognize it or re-install it. I am highly annoyed. All that I lost was some of my iTunes songs and Amazon Unbox videos. Nothing extremely valuable but a lot of useful stuff. Is there any way to get all this data back? I really hope he didn't screw me over. I know my Amazon Unbox videos are re-downloadable. I also probably lost some TES:4 Oblivion expansion mods that I payed for, which are now gone, I don't think I can get them back. I also probably lost some videos of my dog, etc.

If he did, is it possible to re-download my iTunes songs? I paid for all of them. If I could undo the process, PLEASE tell me, I'm highly annoyed at my friend, myself, and my computer.

Very frustrated and now scared,

NeciFiX

Well as a general rule for data recovery, if you do lose data whether it be photos on a memory card within your camera or a USB stick, never try and use the media until you have attempted data recovery.Trying to write to it or use it can sometimes mean that even data recovery software can't pull back. I think if you run a data recovery tool then you could get your files back.

Moral of this story is to always keep back-ups :)

Let me know how the data recovery goes

Aarandorf

Interesting. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Click on Disk Management in the left pane. Does the drive show up in the right pane?

Yes and No. There is 3 drives, 2 HDD's. My C:/ Drive and a drive with no name and it has no format [NTFS, etc.]. The drive with no name and no format is apparently my D:/ Drive, as it has the correct amount of data displayed. It says it has nothing on it, but, that might be just because it's not formatted. Does this help? I added a drive letter to it, so, now it shows up in My Computer, but, when I click on it, it says it's not a formatted drive. I think we can fix this now?

NeciFiX

Yes and No. There is 3 drives, 2 HDD's. My C:/ Drive and a drive with no name and it has no format [NTFS, etc.]. The drive with no name and no format is apparently my D:/ Drive, as it has the correct amount of data displayed. It says it has nothing on it, but, that might be just because it's not formatted. Does this help? I added a drive letter to it, so, now it shows up in My Computer, but, when I click on it, it says it's not a formatted drive. I think we can fix this now?

NeciFiX

Should I format the drive, I need help ASAP. Please, just a yes or a no.

Back
Top Bottom