Custom Lappy Build

Transk53

Baseband Member
Hi,

For some surreal reason, I fancy having a go at building one. Now being an old school overclocker, I know my way around a rig. Budget would not be huge, but can you cherry pick components relative to building say, an IB rig at this moment in time. Just a tech level here. I did have a Penryn C2D based Rock that cost 1500 quid. It expired quite lamely actually, nVidia chipset decided to start smoking fags. Burnt a hole in the mobo :whistling:

Anyway, I would like to be able to use the 9800GTM and the Seagate HD (I think it is a Seagate). Got 4Gig sticks of Kingston DDR3 (Sorry don't remember the frequency's or speed) and 17" wide screen. 19xx - 12xx
Possible do you think. I know the screen would be bit of a bitch, but what about the hardware? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Doing a custom laptop build is near impossibly, Why not just buy one..

Yeah I would love to get a new high end, having to make do with a second hand Samsung at the mo. I put what resources I had into my certs. I would like to maybe use the parts I have. I have been trying to find a Clevo replacement mobo, but no luck so far.

Laptop boards and cases are designed around each other. Building one from scratch by an end user is not possible. Now you can buy the pieces to one and put it together. But mix and match is unlikely to fit or work together.

Laptop boards and cases are designed around each other. Building one from scratch by an end user is not possible. Now you can buy the pieces to one and put it together. But mix and match is unlikely to fit or work together.

Yeah, I realise that a scratch build is impossible. Going to try and see if I can get a Rock 780 borked. The big problem would be getting one of the same family, Rock (Stone Group) had the same naming convention as of nVidia. I think each model had 6 months before the next step up in CPU.

I thought about building a laptop myself but actually found you can't really custom make your own laptop. Companies like Dell though of which I am a fan of can customize their laptops to some extent for the customer. Much more expensive than just buying it off the shelf but much better than trying to make one yourself. While I have never built a custom laptop I have taken some apart and put them back together.

Some laptops can be very difficult to deal with and almost impossible to put back together let alone customize much.

Back
Top Bottom