CPU running hot

slayer6466

Baseband Member
My brothers rig is running an 6000x2 at stock speeds.he has an aftermarket CPU fan and the other day it crapped out on him.no damage to the CPU so I threw in an old stock heatsink in there.I turned it on and it booted to vista and I opened speedfan and it reads it idles at 48-52c .everest shows the same temps but once he starts watching youtube and downloading podcasts it turns off.I'm guessing it goes over 60c which the bios is set to turn off.before on the aftermarket fan it read 18c in idle35full load.what could be causing this?I applied artic silver but is it possible that there so much grease it forms like a blanket on the CPU keeping it hot?

Too much AS5 or simply the false readings often seen with SpeedFan and Everest alike. With a 6000 X2 in use for about 1 1/2yrs. a far more accurate tool with a 3rd party cooler shows Core #0 = 38C Core #1 = 34C for an idle temp.

CoreTemp compares closely with a few other tools like the Asus Probe II and can be found at http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Too much and it's a blanket. To little and there's not a good transfer of the heat to the HS. Grain of rice sized dot then spread it out.
Make sure the cpu and the contact plate on the HS are clean before you apply the paste this time.
Also check air flow through the case and through the aftermarket HS.

try booting up into XP and getting some diagnostic tools. if the CPU is still up that high, then shut it off.

you might've bumped something when you cleaned it last time. maybe the CPU fan is running slow so the system and power supply fans have to kick in extra to keep it from melting down.

try booting up into XP and getting some diagnostic tools. if the CPU is still up that high, then shut it off.

you might've bumped something when you cleaned it last time. maybe the CPU fan is running slow so the system and power supply fans have to kick in extra to keep it from melting down.
now read the actual original post .....then give yourself an uppercut :rolleyes:

I would add the three likely things with two mentioned already are too much paste was applied, the case lacks good air flow, and the last being loading the cpu up even while running stock before the paste has had any breakin time.

A case lacking air flow will see board temps go up. Besides soaking the surfaces with too much paste running programs full steam before the heat starts being transferred into the hsf will see it heat right up.

he told me he was left his pc on last night while downloading a podcast.do you think it overheated.i checked the psu and it says the 5 v rail is bad.can that be the problem?

The instructrions seen for Artic Silver 5 if that is the Artic Silver paste you used would be to run the system for so many hours on the first day or night and shut it for several to allow the silver particles and base to start bonding and seeing some heat transfer while cooling. Then you take things easy for the next few days.

If too much paste was applied or not enough either way the cpu is apparently running hot after any good period of time and ut oh! You may want to look over the instructions provided by the company to compare to how you put the paste on there seen at http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

First choose whether it was AS 5 or one of the others. Then you have to select Intel or AMD from the new window followed by the cpu type. Something wasn't done right like not seeing the sink placed down on correctly to be running hot like that. Go back over everything.

computerscreen.jpg

i had a another stock heatsink with thermal grease pre applied.so i wiped off all the old grease from the cpu and just applied the grease from the heatsink.heres a pic of the current temp

That looks more like it should! You'll still want to keep an eye on things for a few days just the same.

Back
Top Bottom