CPU operating at 100% all the time.?!?!?!?!

bertman911

Baseband Member
For the last few days my computer has been operating very very slow, and within Windows Task Manager it says that it is at 100%. I have NOD32, ran a scan- nothing found. Have spy-bot, ran a scan- a few things found, quarantined and deleted them. Still have the issue of CPU operating at 100%. Biggest culprit of memory is svchost most the time, then NOD32, then iexplorer.....down the list.

I have over 1 meg memory in a cheap Dell Dimension 2400, so that should not be the issue ( I think....). Is there anything else to do, or look for to help this out. I am on a different computer now, so I can research what to do, but when I get home, I can't even get a webpage to load.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

I have had this EXACT thing happen to me a while back. It was the same Svchost virus.

I had it and none of my virus caners would pick it up but I found out what was wrong with it. Useally the Svchost.exe is located in a windows system file. What I found out was that this one was located in my temp folder.

I downloaded Hijack This!
http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html?cdlPid=10781312
Scan the computer, You can put this on a flash drive and run it on the computer from there; since you can't get websites to load.
After you scan it, Save the file, and put it on the flash drive again and go to this site:
http://www.hijackthis.de/
Load the file into that site and it should come up with a list of the programs that are running in the background. It should have an X in red on the right if it's bad.

If you want to skip some of that, just check if the svchost.exe in HijackThis is in a different folder other than a Win32 folder. If it is, just simply check it and hit fix.

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded that program onto a flash and will run it when I get home.

I will let you know how it works. I thought NOD32 found everything.......grrrrrr. Dang the bad luck.

Downloaded the update from Microsoft that related to this issue KB927891. So far that seems to have worked.

I did the Hijack This scan then went to the logfile analysis as resommended. There were some "yellow X's" but most were green check marks. No red.

Seems all is good now, I will keep an eye on things and see what happens.

The analysis said it did not recognice a virus scanner on my computer although I have NOD32 running right now. Any reason it said that? I am also using windows firewall, I read that this is not the best way to go. What are some better options to use for that?

Thanks eveyrone for the help.

Hey I was looking into COMODO PRO as a firewall. Will this interfere with spybot search and destroy, as it seems they do some of the same things.

ALso, so I need to uninstall NOD32 before I install COMODO, then reinstall NOD32 again?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom