Connection problem

Ozzman2079

Solid State Member
I've been working on my friends computer for a few weeks getting it all bug free and such and now it won't connect to the internet. I know theres nothing wrong with the network card or their modem and the driver for the network card is installed. Windows just doesn't seem to know its hooked up to the internet. Any suggestions before I sit on the phone with comcast for hours on end? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the computer with me, it's at her house. so bare with me I'm pulling this all off the top of my head. When I ran winipcfg I'd get 0's for just about everything IP address, gateway etc. Something needs configured and I don't know how or what to do.

Windows 98 SE...Not that it probably matters but the PC is a Dell Dimensions L500C. 257MB of RAM and I'd say probably a Pentium 2.

Hmmm, is there a Network Manager in Windows 98? If you just put in the telephone number and username and password it should just connect?

Start -> Run type cmd and click OK. In the console window, type: ipconfig if you get all zeros again, type ipconfig /renew if you still get zeros, make sure that the DHCP Client service has not been disabled.

I will assume that you have Windows XP or 2000, 2003 on that machine?

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Make sure DHCP Client is set to automatic and that it is started.

You may want to check your DNS Client service, some ISPs will require you to have that to automatic and enabled too.

Oh wait, I didn't read it fully, Windows 98SE...

Okay, right click Network Neighborhood, then click Properties, click on the network adapter with TCP/IP next to it, then click properties again, click through the tabs and check for 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'.

Back
Top Bottom