confused about powersupplys

vimalv617

Solid State Member
I want to get a new powersupply since i also want a better graphics card, but i am confused about the motherdboard connector. on newegg it says the main connector is a "20+4-Pin" does that mean it is either a 20 pin or 24 pin ( I need a 20 pin) or is that just erffering that it has a 20 pin main connector and a 4 pin 2x2 12 volt conenctor that also goes to the mother board.

It is usually a 20 pin and a 4 pin with a two piece plug that can be clipped together to form a 24 pin plug, just seperate them for your purpose (they may already be seperated when you get it)

EDIT: Can you link to the one on Newegg that you're looking at?

The best way to find out what power supply you need is to open your Computer BOX. Now there are only really 2 types of power supplies it could be. Now i would like to know if your PC is old or new? old is the last 10 years new is the last 4 years. If you have only had it for about 4 years you will need a AT-X power supply. Now there is a big difference in old Powersupplies and newer ones. Do this simple test- Open your PC and see how many power cables from the powersupply go to the mainboard, if its a newer board there should be 2 cables going to the main board (one is a huge long one and one is a little 4 pin one that plugs in beside your CPU most of the times), its always black and yellow. Oh Also on the new Powersupplies they have a brake off option on that long plug i was talking about which can take a 24 pin to a 20 pin... GO buy a AT-X powersupply.

DID i write to much?

thanks for the help, as i opened my case up i discovered another question...next to the main connector there is a 3 pin connector that is white,blue,black (from top to bottom). I included a picture....
DSCN1060.jpg
[/IMG]
what is that for and will other powersupplys have that connector?

Is your Computer a HP ?? I have noticed that HP computers can sometimes come with crazy connections. You sure that connection comes from the powersupply? The best thing if you not sure. Take it into the PC store you are going to buy it from..lol

You have a 20-pin power socket on your motherboard, a 20 pin or a 20+4 pin will work. 20+4 means you can use the power supply on either 20 pin or 24 pin motherboards. I have a 20+4 pin PSU myself, and my board uses all 24 of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom