Confused about Linux...

kocheez75

In Runtime
So I've been looking into installing some type of linux distribution on my computer, but I've just become overwhelmed with all the different types. If someone can help explain the differences, I would appreciate it a lot!

What is the main difference between Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu?

What is Gnome or Debian?

Is openSuse another distribution? If so, what does it mean to run Gnome in openSUSE?

What is KDE?

are these all linux based operating systems?

Which do you prefer and why?

I'm fairly computer savvy so don't feel like you can't use any technical terms. I just need some help sorting through all of this information!!

My knowledge pertaining to Linux isn't amazing, but I can help you out with a link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221827

Someone asked a very similar question, so read through that thread.
Also, Wikipedia can explain these fairly well.

I'm sure our helpful crew will chime in once they wake up. :)

Cheers,

Chris

well using google would probably have answered all of those questions a lot faster.
But

What is the main difference between Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu?
ubuntu uses gnome
kubuntu uses kde
xubuntu uses xfce

What is Gnome or Debian?
gnome is a desktop environment
debian is an operating system

Is openSuse another distribution? If so, what does it mean to run Gnome in openSUSE?
yes.
It just means that you are using gnome desktop environment instead of the other alternatives.

What is KDE?
another desktop environment

Which do you prefer and why?
Kubuntu for me. Basically all of the *ubuntu ones are easy to use and aimed at beginners so they are good ones to start with. Well why do I use kubuntu? Well the answer is simple, I think kde is better than gnome. Haven't tried Xfce but it's aimed at low performance computers so I have no need for it since both kde and gnome run perfectly on my pc.

ohh and why did you post this here since you already made an identical thread in the OS section?

Just to let everyone know i am not sure if this is the double post or the other one is but. I have posted some good information is the later, click here and I just don't want to write it all over again.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom