concernded w/ heat/ update on PC temps

stevethebrain

In Runtime
update on PC temps. I have the PC in a confined area inside a wooden case directly behind TV the back & side is completely exposed.

I've been recording the Oylimpics for some odd reason windows media center wants to record the same rebroadcast so WMC records initial broadcast from 7:00pm-11:eek:opm then stops (the local news comes on from 11:00pm-12:00am)
then WMC decides to record the rebroadcast 12:00am-4:00am during the second recording I was wakened by a fan so I checked the BIOS temps are as follows since relocating PC to confined area w/ about 6 hours of recording high definition TV.
CPU 31 previous 22

sys temp 49C 120F previous sys.temp. 37 C/98F

PCH temp 66 previous PCH temp 59

CPU fan speed 1445 RPM did'nt record previous FS

so w/ the PC relocated it mite be a good idea to install a intake and a sys case fan?

edit what is GPU temp and doe's the BIOS display it?
Thanks STB

Last edited:
Absolutely. The computer should not be in a confined area. It should be somewhere that would allow the fans to effectively do their job.

They make fans that can be attached into an opening on the cabinet itself to pull air out/blow air in. I have mine in a cabinet and don't have any issues. Just drill out some holes, attach a fan or two and keep the fans in the computer from being blocked/covered.

Absolutely. The computer should not be in a confined area. It should be somewhere that would allow the fans to effectively do their job.
Absolutely to fans both intake and sys. case fan on back of case?

it's not real confined I'll take a few images tommow and post up.

1.how do the updated temps. look should I be very concerned?

my previous thread you Guy's said for the CPU anything under 70 is safe.

2.the sys temp has made the biggest increase what doe's this indicate?

They make fans that can be attached into an opening on the cabinet itself to pull air out/blow air in. I have mine in a cabinet and don't have any issues. Just drill out some holes, attach a fan or two and keep the fans in the computer from being blocked/covered.

excellent suggestion on drilling holes the PC is mounted on side side of the cabinet so they won't be sean.

actualley the fans are not blocked however the temps have risen since the relocation I was worried about a case and intake fan making alot of noise remember this is a home threater PC. I'll post images of the confined area.

I'm also curious about the TV creating heat around the case funny thing is my Plazma TV expells heat though the front not sure if the much heat created in the back there are vents on the back.

Thanks STB

sys. case fan installed can't see a mounting option for a intake fan? exhaust fan made a small improvement in lowering temps. will monitor the exact temps then post up.edit the fan is quiet I can hear it at all.

here's a few images of the confined area's ventilation.

acerback2.jpg

By stevethebrain at 2012-08-10
acerdack.jpg

acerfan.jpg

I dont see a mounting option for a intake fan. the front panel is'nt vented I believe the front vent is a small slite on the bottom of case not allowing for a intake fan.
acerfintake.jpg

Thanks Guys for the advice STB

Last edited:
I cut a square opening in the side of the cabenit here is the front of PC exposed.

the cabenit it about 1" from the wall.

the sys. case fan hase 3 wires 12V ground and a yellow wire I was expecting the yellow wire would show a status of the fans speed RPM however I don't see a status in the BIOS. ? STB

acerfront.jpg

By Stevethebrain at 2012-08-10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom