Computers in a network can't see each other when setting up "Remote Desktop"

MadVlrus

Solid State Member
Computers in a network can't see each other when setting up "Remote Desktop"

Hello, :)

I have been trying to setup my main computer, which is running Vista Ultimate, so that it could remotely control my older, Windows XP, computer in the network.

Fiel sharing through network works fine, so both of my computers can see each other and communicate without a problem.

Now the issue I am having is when I enable "Remote Desktop" on my WinXP computer.
I try to add users from my WinVista computer, so I click "Select Users..." and then "Add..."
I then click "Locations..."
This is where the problem is. The only location it shows me is my current computer, I can't see any other computers that are connected to the network. :S
I check my network, and both computers can see each other and communicate, but still.... when I try to add a Location... it does not show other computers in the network.

The same issue is when I try to do it in my WinVista comp... it doesn't see my WinXP one.

I have read through all microsoft help files I could find and have tried all the ways I could think of adding another computer... and still nothing :S

Does anyone know what the problem is?
Any help would be appreciated, thx. ;)

Re: Computers in a network can't see each other when setting up "Remote Desktop"

In windows vista, when you set up a network and click on the advanced properties you must select Remote Desktop as an allowable service (there is a rather large list of services to choose from).

Alternatively, check or disable your firewall.

Re: Computers in a network can't see each other when setting up "Remote Desktop"

I have just tried disabling my F-Secure Firewall... my Xp computer sitll can't see my Vista one :S

I am also not quite sure where exactley you are talking about... :S
By services if you mean that I need to go to:
"Control Panel\Network Connections"
then
"Right Click on my LAN -> Properties -> Install... -> Service"
I tried that... and it tells me that I have no services, and my only option is "Have Disk...", which I don't :S

If by "Advanced" you mean that I need to go to the "Device Manager" and then Right Click on my internet connection and click Properties -> Advanced...
well I just tried that as well... there are no options about remote desktop. :S

I am not sure if I've done exactley what you meant, could you please explain it a bit clearer? :S

You know, when you add users to the access list thingie, it's LOCAL users. When you RDC into the computer, you use the username and password of the REMOTE computer

Back
Top Bottom