Is this computer worth upgrading?

CKPGirl

Solid State Member
So, two years ago, my family made the mistake of buying a overpriced HP computer at Circuit City, and though I doubt it I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it'd be worth upgrading it, or should I just save up money for a new computer?

Computer

HP Pavilion a6030n

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 2511 MHz
2.4GHz*, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus

*Though the site advertises 2.4GHz, I've consistently gotten a '1.9GHz' from the Can You Run It? program.

Motherboard
Everest put this as 'Unknown'.

Memory
Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (two available)

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

External drive bays
2 external 5.25"(one available), 1 external 3.5" (occupied)

Expansion slots
2 PCI slots (1 available), 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available), 1 PCI-E x1 slot (available)

I've been using this for gaming, so if this turns out to be worth upgrading, what would you guys suggest I get?

Alright, I hate to double post, but I'd really like to get some opinions on this.

You didn't say how much RAM was in it. I'd probably go for new if it's for gaming, but otherwise you might benefit from a RAM upgrade or maybe a new video card. Anything must be better than a 6150.

If you are pretty happy with how it games, but would like more performance. you could easily buy a PCI-E graphics card and replace the one you have now. This will give a performance boost, without having to replace the motherboard/CPU, etc.

What else do you use the PC for? Struggling to run some programs due to speed? Games you may want to run, or programs?

You didn't say how much RAM was in it. I'd probably go for new if it's for gaming, but otherwise you might benefit from a RAM upgrade or maybe a new video card. Anything must be better than a 6150.

Sorry about that, it has 2 gigs of RAM.

So far, it's been able to run every new game I put on it. (Dragon Age, Sims 3, etc.) It's even managed to run on higher graphics settings, though it then starts to lag considerably. I was hoping to be able to upgrade it so I could run the games at higher settings, and get it to run Left 2 Dead 2.

I wanted to save some cash through upgrading, but if it's better to just go with a new computer...

I'll say it's up to you...personally I'd just got make a PC from Newegg. But I think those specs could run L4D2, do you have the money to build a new PC?

Back
Top Bottom