Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/)
-   Hardware (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/)
-   -   Computer switching itself off (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/computer-switching-itself-off-165695.html)

novahifi 08-14-2007 12:57 PM

Computer switching itself off

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a likely reason why my laptop should suddenly switch itself off without warning or a blue screen or anything?

It is a toshiba Intel core Duo @1.66GHz with 1GB RAM and uses Windows XP operating system. I did not get any Windows error messages like the ones where the problem is caused by Windows drives conflicting. Is there a chance that there is something wrong with the power button or something like that?

Thank you.

blackjack 08-14-2007 01:05 PM

Re: Computer switching itself off

Run a Antivirus and spyware scan to eliminate a possible security threat.

ssc456 08-14-2007 01:32 PM

have u tried removing the battery and running it straight from the mains ?

novahifi 08-14-2007 01:38 PM

I was running it straight from the mains.

blackjack 08-14-2007 01:44 PM

Have you got all the latest updates from mirosoft?, If not then go there and download them.

celegorm 08-14-2007 02:02 PM

Have you made any changes to the system, dropped it, spilled on it, anything?

ssc456 08-14-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novahifi (Post 663955)
I was running it straight from the mains.

yh but did u have the battery in ? sometimes even if you have the mains in the battery will short out the power switch so try it with no battery in

ashaiba 11-17-2007 01:03 PM

do you happen to have windows xp professional sp2, and do you play games when it happens?

Juice 11-17-2007 01:22 PM

Could be overheating, I have a gateway laptop (piece of crap) which would overheat to 100 celcius then just randomly shut off. It was like no messages saying its gona overheat, it just turned off. Then the screen broke and I just have it sitting in a case in my living room.

novahifi 11-23-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashaiba (Post 709836)
do you happen to have windows xp professional sp2, and do you play games when it happens?

That was an isolated incident, but recently it has been happening all the time. Strangely always when I play an online game. I wonder what this member knew that I don't. Anyway I am considering getting a new laptop now. This one is only two years old, but it is less serviceable frankly than my very old 2002 laptop.