computer shut off

Half Evil

Golden Master
im an avid gamer and use my computer just about everyday but i was wondering how much it need to be shut off because i do all my virus scans and windows updats at night while i sleep, but i was wondering how often i need to shut it down i think now i havent shut it off in like a week

just shut it down when it starts to lag..gives it a fresh boot to clear the cache and such.

It depends on the quality of your computer parts, ESPECIALLY the power supply. If you have a good power supply, you should be able to keep it running several days at a time with no problem. I used to keep my computer on 24/7 for weeks at a time without a problem. Windows tends to get a bit slow if it's left on for long periods, though. Just restart it real quick, and you should be good to go again. Be sure to defrag regularly as well. Just make sure you have a good PSU and adequate cooling, and you should be able to leave it on for as long as you want.

EDIT> I forgot to mention that you should have a good hard drive, as well. Keeping your computer on all the time can greatly decrease the life of your hard drive. Just make sure you have a fairly durable one - preferably one meant for a server which would be always on. A regular name-brand drive should work well enough, though. Just don't expect it to last ten years or anything like that.

EDIT2> After a bit of searching, I've found arguments that say turning a computer on and off actually does MORE harm than leaving it on:

http://www.5starsupport.com/tod/7-5-05.htm

Also, here's an article quoted from www.worldstart.com:
http://www.worldstart.com/archives/computer-tips/2003/01-30-2003.htm said:
Is your computer running? Then Go Catch It! :)
This is one of those topics that always seems to make digital sparks fly.

I guess I'll give you the thoughts from both camps and let you decide.

Leave it on:

The electronic components within the computer tend to last longer if they aren't constantly cooling off and warming back up. Additionally, you don't get any kind of initial "spike" in power when your machine is first turned on (not a big problem if you have an ATX type motherboard—most newer computers do). Finally, it's much more convenient to just plop down in front of your computer and start working than to sit through a lengthy boot-up.

Turn it off:

Your hard drive may last longer, especially if your computer doesn't put the drive on "standby" after a certain amount of idle time. The constant spinning of your hard drive motor can wear out the internal bearings. I personally don't think this a big deal. Newer hard drives will probably be in good service longer than the computer they live in.

Another "turn it off" argument is that you'll save on your electric bill. Depending on your machine, it uses the same power as one or more 100 watt light bulbs.

Finally, you're going to pull more dust into your computer if it's running all the time. More dust = more heat. More heat = short lived computers, unless you clean it out regularly.

Those are the main reasons both ways. My opinion? I let it run during the day when I'm using it and shut it off at night.

I don't think it's good for the computer to have someone poking at the power switch constantly. If you're going to use it in the morning and then again in the afternoon, leave it run till you're finished for the day.

I used to leave mine run 24/7, but a few things have changed my mind.

For one, any chip faster than 133Mhz needs a cooling fan to keep it from burning itself into a silicon cinder. These fans are not totally reliable.

If I'm using the computer and am getting signs that I have a CPU that's overheating (your computer will act *really* strange, some will play a little tune through the internal speaker), I can shut things down and get it fixed. If it happens in the middle of the night, I'll have a roasted CPU in the morning.

Another reason is that I've seen power supplies go bad and try to catch themselves (and anything nearby) on fire. Again, not something I want to have happen at 2:00 AM when I'm asleep dreaming about program code.

Finally, anyone who uses Windows knows that it should be re-booted on a daily basis. So, by shutting it off at night and turning it back on it the morning, I automatically get my re-boot (that's not to say I don't have to do the occasional re-boot during the day though with win 9.x type machines).

So, my advice is to run it when you need it, and when you're done for the day, shut it down.

~ Steve

Have a an original tip for the newsletter? Submit it below:
http://www.worldstart.com/writers-guidelines/index.htm

ok thanks, i have pretty high quality parts for wut they are, but thanks again

the helped so basicly i turn it off when i go away for a day or so, but now i need to know when to turn off hard disks, the system standby, and the system hybernation, but wuts the difference between the standby and hybernation?

Back
Top Bottom