Computer shut-down when cold

Terry47

Solid State Member
I have a strange problem that I have posted to a forum before, but could never get a satisfactory solution. I built a new computer last February and everything works fine except the computer will shut down at the Windows loading screen when the ambient temp. is around 70 F. or below. It posts just fine, and will usually boot all the way on the second attempt to boot. Once it has boooted completely up there are no problems and I can shut down and re-start normally as long as the computer hasn't been sitting a long time and hasn't cooled down to below around 70 F. During warmer weather it will boot up on the first try, but since the weather is getting cooler now, it has started shutting down at the start-up screen when cold again. I want to point out also that it shuts off at the exact same time during the Windows loading screen. I can start the computer in safe mode and it will continue to run with no problem...it seems that the extra time that the computer is running at the safe mode option screen is enough to warm up the computer and will start up ok when I choose to start Windows normally. I have tried a different power supply with the same results. Here are my computer specs:

AMD 64 X2 5200+
Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard
Sapphire X1650XT video card
Theramaltake 430 watt power supply
G. Skill F2-6400CL4S-1GBHK RAM (2 gb.)
Western Digital WD2500KS hard drive
Samsung SH-S182M dvd/cd burner
Thermaltake VB1000BNS case

Any ideas or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

If the computer boots in safe mode with no issues, then the first thing that comes to mind is a driver problem.

Do you mean 70 F or 70 C? Just to make sure because theres a big difference.
Driver problem or a...... mostly a driver problem.

70 F-I was thinking along the lines of a driver problem too of some sort, but it only does it during the cooler weather....ususally 70 F or lower. During the warmer spring and summer months it worked just fine...it would boot up completely on the first try.

If it works fine from startup in safemode then it IS more than likely a driver issue. Also try resetting the BIOS to defaults, see if that helps mate.

why dnt you take out any fans are anything inside the computer
which wud take the temp higher for now

why dnt you take out any fans are anything inside the computer
which wud take the temp higher for now
Are you suggesting that he remove fans??? Your wording is poor, if thats what your suggesting then can you explain this further because i think your wrong and i want your reasoning behind this. Thanks.

i thinks its a coincedence for the computer to shut off at that tempature. probably bios

What about the BIOS do you think might be the problem? I've looked through it and haven't seen anything that I thought was out of the ordinary....no settings that I haven't used on other computers and had this problem.

Back
Top Bottom