Computer runs like crap, fix one thing leads to another.

samuelbourque

Beta member
Hey all, here is my computer Spec's.

AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ 266FSB SOCKET A RETAIL BOX
SOLTEK 75FRN2-L NFORCE2 SOCKETA DUAL DDR AGP8X 5PCI ATA133 SOUND LAN
SPECTEK PC2700 256MB DDR 333MHZ 184PIN OEM
40 gig HD
SOLTEK GEFORCE4 MX440SE AGP 128BIT 64MB SDR
NCI SL-9030KL 17IN ATX 10 DRIVE BAYS 300W P4 READY

now anything describe above is all I know, my computer was freezing and rebooting whenever on odd occasions, I ran memcheck and figured out it was bad ram cause of all the errors, I received a new Ram, same Manufacter, when I run memcheck it passes every test so I assume I didn't get bad ram again.

however here is the odd part, my computer will work fine up until it freezes,I can't do anything other then hard reboot it, when it goes through the POST, it will Freeze on the Loading screen for Windows and eventually pop up a BSOD,it will freeze for like 10 minutes. I will reboot numerous times and it will stick to Loading Windows XP. Now when I go on Safe Mode my Mouse doesn't work, the only way I can get back to WInXP is to use Last Known Good option, also I will need to get my USB mouse from my own computer and pop it in to the new one to get my PS/2 Mouse to start working, thats pretty strange to me.

I really don't know why my computer is acting up like this but any suggestion would be nice.

Sam

Agreed, a reinstall of windows should do the trick.
Right after you install, reboot to safe mode, and do a defrag of the hhd.

This will make xp a lot faster at booting, and will make it run more smoothly.Then after that make a restore point.

Lets just next time you buy parts buy them from a better company. You get what you paid for.

Soltek is definately not the best comany out there.

Also that ram you have is absolutely one hundred persent crap.

Next time buy from a trusted brand like kingston, crusial or corsair.

true the ram sucks, i didn't know the board sucked, I heard Soltek was pretty good Motherboard.

I did format allot, still doesn't help, I might of found the issue.
It only seemed to freeze when I was trying to uninstall the damn 56k Modem, could there be a conflict somewheres, it would disable my keyboard and mouse, or freeze my computer. I took the 56k Modem out and since then I haven't had any problems. I checked Event Viewer and notting appears.

I'll post if I get something out of wack
and next time I will look more closely on the Manufacturer, I know my ram sucks.

Well true Soltek is not bad its not what i would consider to be one of the top three but yeah the ram is what reallly aint too good.

Modems are the stupidest things on earth they are always doing crap like that. I am glad that I no longer have to mess around with one of those again.

for sure i'll look for better ram next time, Modem was only there to have my gf's phone plugged into it instead of going all the way to the kitchen to pick it up, however I can deal without it, I am pretty sure it was a conflict.

ive got a ram chip with 64mb in my pc with a new 256mb from kingston valueram - and alougth the machine is 3 years old with 668mhz processer it runs like a treat!

keyboard,mouse and modem can have irq sharing which can cause some systems problems. Some bios do not support usb mice or keyboard-ergo difficulty.
Change to a different modem and check windows system information for sharing violations and or conflicts.

well....id jut buy a new computer because i fixed my comp over n over again it cause more then wat i paid for so jsut buy a new comp n make it a custom computer so U no wat U want in it n how it handles ETC....

Back
Top Bottom