computer randomly rebooting

EricM

Daemon Poster
sorry if this is a double post, but something screwed up when i was trying to post it the first time. i am having a bit of a problem with windows on my new computer i just build. At first windows would kind of freeze at times... so i didnt think anything of it.. but no my computer randomly rebooted today and i got a quick flash of a blue windows error message and i couldnt read it because it disappears right away. so it restarted and the same thing happened after 5 minutes. each time it does this when windows reboots i get an error pop up about a critical error that had happened and windows had just recovered and it sent an error report. i clicked on more info and it gave me the names of some files in the registry... does anyone know what is going on?

Well when i rebooted my pc manually when it restarted i got the same error popups so i sent the error reports and here is what i got...

Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type:Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)Solution available?:No (see Next steps)What does this error mean?:Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restartCause:Unknown device driverComputer symptoms:A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)Additional steps for you to take:Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible
Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

and it happened again and here is what i got the second time...

Microsoft Online Crash Analysis uses JavaScript and cookies to display content correctly.

To upload your error report or check the status of a previously submitted error report, ensure that your browser security settings meet the following requirements:

• JavaScript must be enabled.
  • Cookies must be enabled.

Browser security settings may impair site functionality
JavaScript and cookies must be enabled

Microsoft Online Crash Analysis uses JavaScript and cookies to display content correctly.

To upload your error report or check the status of a previously submitted error report, ensure that your browser security settings meet the following requirements:

• <LI id=LIUse47>JavaScript must be enabled.
  • Cookies must be enabled.

Error caused by problem in random access memory: run Windows tool

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was caused by a problem in your computer's random access memory (RAM). Microsoft is unable to determine if this problem was caused by a hardware or software issue, although this type of problem is usually caused by hardware.

Recommendation

Microsoft recommends that you download and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on your computer to find out if this is a hardware or software problem. On most computers, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test, and complete the test in less than 30 minutes

just when i thought the problem fixed itself... it did it again! why must windows be such a pain:mad:. can anyone help me?

It is faulty ram, not windows, you need to run a diagnostic programme like Memtest86 (runs from bootable floppy) or the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. (Runs from within Windows)
Before you do either, switch off your pc at the mains (or psu switch) ground yourself on the case, unplug and reseat your memory to ensure it is seated correctly. Reboot.
if the problem persists then run one of the two programmes I listed above, preferably with one stick at a time inserted. If you have just built this pc and can isolate the faulty stick (s) then they should be covered by warranty, RMA it (them)

Yea bad ram 9/10 when i've seen this problem its ram, get a new stick or RMA your current one. Its your RAM very simple fix.

Ahh ok Well i ran the thing windows told me to run and it didnt find any problems but then again I had both sticks in....ill try reinserting them one stick at a time and see what happens.. That would explain the random freezing i get when my system should be blazing fast.

Definately. You wouldn't want to throw the good one out and keep the bad one eh?

Okay thanks for the help! I will go run this test now... and all this time i thought it was windows.

Back
Top Bottom