Computer options (I have them both, just need to know which I should use..)

karling07

Daemon Poster
Ok,

So here is my current system:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1GB DDR RAM
200GB SATA HD 7200RPM
Onboard Video
Biostar CRU51-M9 Mobo

Here is the specs of another system:
Pentium 4 2.66GHz
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
(3) 80GB SATA 7200RPM Hard drives
PCI-e 256MB Video Card
Intel Desktop Board 945gtp

Extra parts I have:
like 5GB of DDR RAM in 256MB form
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processor
(2) Intel Desktop Board 865 w/ 2.66GHz P4
A bunch of 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drives

So here is my question:
Out of all of those parts/systems, what parts should I take and incorporate into the system that I currently use? Clearly many of the AMD parts wont be compatible with the intel parts... But I'm open to all suggestions. I just have a crapload of the intel parts b/c our school was throwing it all away and I was like "AGHHH NOO, Ill take the P4s!" and I got some of the 80GB SATAs (and intel desktop boards).

So yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated, even if its just keeping the same system I have.

And one more question: in my first system (the athlon one), whenever I try to put more RAM into it, I get memory errors like BSOD and the PC shuts down if I try to open any videos... It's really strange; at first I thought the RAM was bad, but then it worked fine in other computers!

My setup is two identical PC2400 512 sticks of RAM, and then the other two slots are the ones that mess up every time I put in ram (I had tried 2 256MB sticks PC3200).

Thanks

Your memory problem - take out the PC2400 RAM, and put in the PC3200. PC2400 will slow the PC right down, as Athlon 64s expect at least PC3200.

Upgrade the 2.66ghz CPU to the 3ghz one.

Those systems are pretty much fine as you have them, except as prosser said, PC2400 is pretty slow. Try taking out the 2 x PC2400 512 sticks and put in four of the 256 PC3200 (assuming you have 4 slots). The problem is probably that the different speeds are conflicting.

Also, ff you're going to be doing any graphic-intensive tasks (gaming and such), you probably will want a dedicated graphics card for the AMD box. You can find some pretty good deals around right now with DirectX 10 coming soon.

Change the 2.66 to replace the 3.0 Then reformat all the 80 GB drives, RAID 0 two of them, and use the other 80GB in your athlon rig.

Back
Top Bottom