Computer not starting

OniLink_z64

Beta member
Hello, last night there was a storm and this morning my sister turned her pc on and it wont start, all power is geting to mobo and hardrive, but when you start it, it dosnt post, or beep like it wud normally, any ideas? thanks

hm..it could be that power is passing thru but not enough to get the whole shebang running. Or something fried...maybe a just a circuit.

Does it ask for a boot disk? if so an electrical surge wiped your HDD. You should always have your computer off during a thunder storm, and unpluged. just so you know for the future.

no i don't think so because he says it doesn't post anything which in my mind means it prolly doesnt even have anything pop up.

Posted by OniLink_z64 - Today at 05:05 PM
Hello, last night there was a storm and this morning my sister turned her pc on and it wont start, all power is geting to mobo and hardrive, but when you start it, it dosnt post, or beep like it wud normally, any ideas? thanks
--------------

as he says maybe there's led light that turn on on his mobo?we need more details but it sounds like his mobo is fried?

----------
hm..it could be that power is passing thru but not enough to get the whole shebang running. Or something fried...maybe a just a circuit.

is that possible? (just trying to give a glimmer of hope lol)

Dishdog said:
Does it ask for a boot disk? if so an electrical surge wiped your HDD. You should always have your computer off during a thunder storm, and unpluged. just so you know for the future.

Do many people actually do this? I know you should, but who does? I have an expensive UPS/surge protector with a nice gurantee attached to it, so I guess I just assume that it can take a little blast.

You must always, always unplug your computer during storms.

How many beeps does it make?

No Beeps -> No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

1 Short Beep-> Normal POST, computer is ok.

2 Short Beep-> Review screen for error code.

Continuous Beep-> No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

Repeating Short Beep-> No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

One Long and one Short Beep-> Motherboard issue.

One Long and Two short Beeps-> Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry)

One Long,Three Short Beeps.-> Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.

Three Long Beeps-> Keyboard / Keyboard card error.

One Beep, Blank Display-> Video Display Circuitry.

Beep codes are diferent for each MOBO. no beep for me is good. go to your MOBo's site for the proper beep codes

My friend, has a Dell. One storm, we heard lightning sounded like it hit his house. I think it must have, we go into his room, take of the case to his computer, since it wasn't working, and it was steaming! If you take it to where, do NOT tell them anything about a storm or lightning, as it is not on the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom