Computer making amplifiers power cut-off?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
I use a Rotel RA-05 amplifier connected to two Monitor Audio BR2 speakers and a PC as the source, connected to the amplifier via a 3.5mm to RCA jack.

This has worked seamlessly for many months until i did two things:

1. I formatted my PC and reinstalled Windows, though the drivers used after this were the same as before so nothing technically has changed.

2. I moved house and therefore the socket that was being used to power the PC and amplifier is different, though it's a still standard UK plug so again it's technically the same set-up.

Nonetheless, when turned on there is an unpleasant noise (similar to white noise on a television) and more worrying, when the amp is turned up past 10 o'clock it's power protection LED comes on and the unit cuts out. I have tried using different cables such as a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, along with using both the front and back output of the PC, but the same still happens.

Thankfully, i don't believe the amplifier or speakers are to blame, seeing how when a different source is used (such as an MP3 player) the system works perfectly.

As said, i can't understand why this has happened now as i've been using this set-up for some time and i don't see how the changes mentioned could have made any difference.

Nonetheless, the question is, what is the PC doing to the amplifier to make horrible noise come from it and cause it's power cut off when turned past 10 o'clock?

Back
Top Bottom