Computer Freezing

lacrosse2321

Beta member
Ever since I built my computer, it has freezing problems. I have tried testing and monitoring it. It is not heat related, 35 degrees C, and I am not overclocking. As far as I can tell, it is not program related, and it happened when I only had WINXP PRO installed. I have tried Spybot, Spysweeper, Symantec Antivirus, Registry Mechanic, SiSoftware Sandra, defragmenting, Reformatting, updating Windows. . . Please help me fix it. Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm @ 2.01GHz
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Saphire RADEON 9800 Atlantis
Corsair ValueSelect 512mb PC3200
Maxtor 160GB SATA
Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
SilentMax 400W
SyncMaster 955Df

What exactly are the symptoms?

Does it just freeze for a few seconds loading something? On the desktop? On a program?

Hope we can help

Perhaps memory timings are a bit dodgy, or try even re-seating memory.

When does it crash, under a heavy load? lots of memory being utilised? etc??

Freezing

All of the parts were brand new from Newegg. It will freeze when just sitting on the desktop, running a screensaver, on the internet, and sometimes when I am running HalfLife 2. It does not appear to be a loadbearing freeze because it will freeze just sitting there. It is a permanent freeze, and the computer does not sound like it is working.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm @ 2.01GHz
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Saphire RADEON 9800 Atlantis
Corsair ValueSelect 512mb PC3200
Maxtor 160GB SATA
Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
SilentMax 400W
SyncMaster 955Df

Hmmm...

Freezing can come from many different sources. IRQ's is one while old or bad drivers is another. The latest vid drivers are some times not the best drivers to use. Try backing up a version or two for testing purposes. While in that line of thought if you have a pci card in the first slot under the age slot move it to another slot. The 2 slots even though one is agp and the other is pci share a lot of resources. IRQ's assigned to the agp slot get assigned to the first pci slot as well. Strange way to do things but that's the way it is. Some bios have a setting to assign the vid card one just for it alone and I have found this is the best route to go. Saves getting in to conflicts. But if yours don't read on.
Card slots travel in pairs. IRQ's get assigned to every two slots. So if you have two devices that are busy little beavers they can get into a pissing contest as to which is the priorty device and bring a system to a screeching halt. A modem and a LAN card is two you can have in adjacent slots that behave well. One is busy doing online duties while the other is just making sure the other computer is still out there. Not a full time job.
So figure the agp and the first pci slot as the first pair and count from there.
Now having said all that rot, it could be as simple as did you load the latest motherboard drivers? Find what brand name chip set you have and download the latest version. If VIA it's 4.55. Don't hold me to that but get the all in one and use it. If Intel or Nvidia go check their respective sites and get um.
I'm done...

Back
Top Bottom