Computer Clock Problem

kselin

Solid State Member
Hello,
My system clock seems to be corrupted or something. We had installed panda antivirus software trial version. Since it was for a limited time, I found a hacking software to crack the expiration date. What the hacking software did was, it made the computer clock get reset or am not sure, the clock hasnt worked properly since then.
Removing and putting back the battery didnot solve it. Every time the bios needs to be updated with the correct time. The OS doesnt seem to be showing the proper time in the clock, resetting it in the BIOS or the OS, is only a temporary solution.
I would appreciate all help in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
kselin.

i'm not for sure if this is legal or not. And what have we learned...hack bad... but do you have a system restore point that you could refer back to?

Well, after that, we tried uninstalling, resetting the time, nothing worked. The hard disk was even formatted and we installed every thing from scratch. Still, that problem exists.
So, am not sure if system restore would have helped, as this looks like it has affected more than the OS.
Thanks.

Regards,
kselin.

i know of viruses that screw up your clock, maybe you should invest in a full virus program. re-installing your OS should have gotten rid of it though. If you unplug your MOBO it might reset your BIOS so the clockwould be fixed in it.

Could be your computer battery, when that's going the clock is one of the first signs to screw up.

We did remove the battery from the computer after unplugging it from the power supply, so, that should have reset the BIOS I guess. But that didnot help. Even if the clock is repeatedly reset in the BIOS by entering the correct time, that doesnot solve the problem.
Though, I am not sure if the computer battery is gone.
Thanks.

Regards,
kselin.

FIRST STEP :

Yeah, First, simply get the code of the battery, and go to computer shop or somewhere where they would sell those circular types to test if it is this that has gone. Its a possibility before worrying that your system has been damaged :p (only cheap)

If this doesn't fix it, you'll need to use some antivirus software and search for it if its a bug in the system.
It would have gone into the main system, and if this doesn't work, I'm afraid your hard drive would need to be formatted... but at least you can backup data...

AVG:

One free antivirus scanner which doesn't have a trial version is AVG Antivirus. Download this instead, update and do a scan with it :)

I DON'T THINK ITS A VIRUS:

I don't think this is a virus of the normal type though but might be a bug AVG will find, like a joke file, since I don't think it would infect EXE files, but I still wouldn't back up any just incase, so only document files, saved files, and music files if you can.

If you have to save some EXE files for instance, run a virus check on them using this before you back up on cd/dvd or on an external drive

BATTERY REMOVAL WONT WORK:

removing the battery wouldn't work since it'd be stored on the hard drive to change it every time it boots up.

LESSON LEARNT?:

You can get all sorts from cracking, and I guess you've learnt the hard way, since anything can be held in the Zip files you download :(

I hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot for your reply.
To think of the battery, I think it shouldn't have gone, as the computer still boots up fine (apart from the clock issue).
We have tried formatting the entire hard disk and installing everything from scratch. Correct me if I am wrong, but if it was any file stored in the hard disk which is corrupting the time, I think it should have solved the problem.
Thanks.

Regards,
kselin.

kselin said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
To think of the battery, I think it shouldn't have gone, as the computer still boots up fine (apart from the clock issue).
We have tried formatting the entire hard disk and installing everything from scratch. Correct me if I am wrong, but if it was any file stored in the hard disk which is corrupting the time, I think it should have solved the problem.
Thanks.

Regards,
kselin.
Replace the battery with a new one...

Back
Top Bottom