Computer Blew Out sparks!!

superman22x

Golden Master
So I put in my 8800gts in today, and played crysis and my computer started smelling something burning, and all of a sudden 3 foot sparks shot out of my computer!!!! My 500 watt power supply was a POS, so maybe thats why... Think everything in the computer is shot?...

hopefully not.

Any obvious signs of charring or blown caps on the board/video card?

That's a hell big spark though so I'd be prepared for the worst.

When can you try a different psu?

I am sorry, that sucks. What i would do is take apart the case and check each part to see if there are burn/char marks on them.

It's good!!! Got a new PSU. From Bestbuy. I'm gonna go look and see how much it cost on Newegg. Probably $50 less, lol. I spent $130 on a BFG 650w, with dual 20a 12v rails, and plenty of connections. Guy at geeksqaud said the 550w wouldnt quite be enough.

well its good that everything turned out alright :). what a waste if everything had went to waste.

I once had my sound card catch fire, but thats cause of my noob act LOL, i forced a connector from the PSU to the card, not realizing that if it doesn't fit...it doesn't go there...and yeah...you guess'd, i blew the card :p

Geeksquad is made of moron's, the founder had good intentions however the way his plan has been implemented isn't working out.

I think the pricing for that BFG PSU is about right actually, those are freakin' solid psu's.

Haha, yeah, but that would also mean 1 week with a broken computer, and a brand new 8800GTS sitting in there.

Back
Top Bottom