Christmas Upgrades...

hascet

Fully Optimized
I can't figure out what I want for Christmas, so I'll ask for your opinion on what you would upgrade on my computer so I can see if its worth it or not. I have $700.
Current Specs:
E6600
P5B Deluxe
Raptor 74GB
2GB DDR2 1000
7600GT
600W PSU
Swiftech H20-120 Watercooling
DVD+R

upgrade the motherboard to something with quad core support, 45nm, and 1333mhz bus. then upgrade the video card to a 8800GT. no need to spend all 700$ on upgrades.

EDIT:
also if you only have a raptor, you should buy a 500GB sata drive, i thought i would never use up my 40GB back in the day, now im almost full on my 200GB one :eek:

Oh yeah, the Z-5500's are amazing!
I wish they were better for music though. I mean, there very bassy, but not as clear sounding as I'd of hoped. My ears are very sensitive to stuff like that.

Playing through optical and not analog like most sound cards does improve things a hell of a lot though, quality wise.

You could get an 8800gt if you were inclined :p

upgrade the motherboard to something with quad core support, 45nm, and 1333mhz bus. then upgrade the video card to a 8800GT. no need to spend all 700$ on upgrades.

EDIT:
also if you only have a raptor, you should buy a 500GB sata drive, i thought i would never use up my 40GB back in the day, now im almost full on my 200GB one :eek:

P5B's will support a quad.

Your PC is fine, possibly a graphics card upgrade.

I've got X-540's, the thing is I don't really need any computer parts my computer plays everything I want on max...I just don't know what else to get, I don't use much HDD space either clean it out regularly and don't do much downloading, so I have like 30GB left right now.

The 8800GT would be nice though, and you could probably sell your 7600GT for a bit too.
Since your happy with performance though, maybe this isn't the best thing to do yet.

Also, people have suggested to get a new motherboard so you can support quad (even though I think that can support Quad)...
Anyhow, what i was going to say was, if you have a dual core, you will probably skip the quad war altogether to tell the truth. I can see that they'll probably bring out experimental 8 cores soon, that we'll all be jumping on to, that or 6.

Reason I think that is, I had a single core for a VERY long time, and decided not to go for dual, and instead opted straight for quad.

i can remember when people were getting faster, and faster single cores. then dual cores came out and people were like :eek: wtf, 2 cpu's on one die, must be a scam. now just a couple years later were talking about octo cores.

i think my next cpu upgrade will be a tri core. (YES, amd is making some, im not just making this up)

3 cores?... interesting...

I seriously do hope the Crysis release, or possibly a patch makes use of all cores effectively though.

I did hear that the Intel line up is going to be for servers first of all, and not for home use.

Back
Top Bottom