chipset help

biferi

Daemon Poster
Can anyone tell me if the Northe Brige or South Brige controles the speed of these things?

SATA Hard Drive Ports.
PCI Express Slots.
Keyboard and Mouse Ports.
E SATA Port.

The south bridge chip, also called ICH (I/O Controller Hub) is connected to the north bridge and is in charge basically of controlling I/O devices and on-board devices, like:

* Hard disk drive ports (Parallel and Serial ATA ports)
* USB ports
* On-board audio (*)
* On-board LAN (**)
* PCI bus
* PCI Express lanes (if available)
* Real time clock (RTC)
* CMOS memory
* Legacy devices like interrupt controller and DMA controller

Everything You Need to Know About Chipsets

Why would the Southbrige controle the PCI Express and SATA and IDE Hard Drives and LAN they are all fast components???

The southbrige is for slow things RIGHT???

I think I have it down the way Chipsets work.

On an Intell System the Northbrige and Southbrige are connected togather.
But the CPU and RAM and PCI Express are connected directly to the Northbrige.

And the Southbrige is connected to the slow PCI Interface and IDE Interface and Floppy Drive Interface and Onboard Audio and SATA Interface and Ethernet and things like this????

basically that is how they split the work, its not "slow" PCI slots but you put your video card on the first slot since its closest to the CPU and RAM.

tHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

aD i MENT THE pci sLOT THAT RUNS AT 32 bIT AT 33 mh IS THE sLOW ONES THE pci eXPRESS IS THE FAST ONES??

OK now about AMD System Chipsets??

I know that AMD CPUs have one BUS going to the System Memory and this is just called Memory BUSS.

And the AMD CPUs have one BUS going to all the other components and this is called Hypertransport BUS.

So with AMD CPUs is the BUS that is used to connect the CPU to the System Memory still connected to the Northbrige or how do they connect it??

Back
Top Bottom