Central Printing

bryal012

Beta member
Hi There,

I have several printers on my network, and it is annoying to add every networked printer to every work station. I do have a print server, i have about 10 work stations, all are Windows 7 or Windows Vista and the print server is Windows Server 2008. I DO NOT HAVE ACTIVE DIRECTORY DOMAINS

What I want to try and achieve is to have all printers installed under one printer icon/name such as "Print To Network" on the control panel on the workstations and then the users can then ask IT Support to send there print job to a printer on floor 1 or floor 3 when they are on floor 2.

Is there a way like having a centralized print quota where all print jobs are sent and then sent to different printers?

Thank You In Advanced

bryal012

Yes I am 14 and I help with IT Support at a local company

What you are talking about does exist, it's referred to as Print Fleet Management Software. It's ridiculously expensive usually. However, there is a print option in Windows called Printer Pooling that does some of the things you're talking about. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to choose which printer each job goes to , though. I think the printer models have to be the same in order for it to really work. Let me put it this way, in order to do all things you mentioned quite a bit of money is going to have to be spent.

If you had an active directory domain, it would be a lot easier. You could just deploy the printers via group policy on a per computer basis.

What you are talking about does exist, it's referred to as Print Fleet Management Software. It's ridiculously expensive usually. However, there is a print option in Windows called Printer Pooling that does some of the things you're talking about. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to choose which printer each job goes to , though. I think the printer models have to be the same in order for it to really work. Let me put it this way, in order to do all things you mentioned quite a bit of money is going to have to be spent.

Ok, i have google searched it and have found a few, but i'm just sent it to my superior, as he has the overall say on what happens. and i will looking into printer pooling. i do think money will be a issue, as we have spent alot on replacing servers and workstations

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

If you had an active directory domain, it would be a lot easier. You could just deploy the printers via group policy on a per computer basis.

Ok, yes, i do know quite alot in group policy, i think we may start setting up our own AD Domain soon as the business is expanding. and that management will be easier, we are in the process of replacing servers so we could introduce it when we get them setup.

Back
Top Bottom