Cdrom causing system instability?

Masterwong

Beta member
I have a somewhat broad and can be opened ended question. I am just curious if it is possible for a cdrom to affect a games speed, and or cause system instability. I have been playing Starcraft lately on battlenet, and the other day it seemed to work perfect, the cdrom drive used seems iffy, though. However, today my computer was almost completely dependent upon my cdrom drive. It seemed like the cdrom was running faster (louder noises,etc.) and the game would not log on to battlenet. I checked the performance in task manager and my computer was running at 100% CPU Usage. The computer ended up getting unstable and I restarted. This time around and many after I would log onto windows and let starcraft autorun. Sometimes the autorun would not start, sometimes it would but then when I clicked to run Starcraft the computer would just stop responding. Its odd because not everything stopped responding, but if I tried to press ctrl+alt+delete, or open my internet browser nothing would happen. BUT the moment I would press the eject button on the cdrom tray everything would start working again immediately.

Anyhow what is wrong has caused starcraft to not allow connection to battlenet, perhaps because it is running to slowly.

If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. Need be I will leave my computer/cdrom drive specs later on.

Yeah, it could very easily be the CD drive.

My DVD burners a bit faulty too, and can cut out while loading, etc, causing the system to halt, even when no disc is in it.

I think its time for you to get a new one...

In response to that I have a DVD burning drive, and a DVD reader drive that I dont have connected, would either of those be suitable for a gaming or should I actually get another CDrom suitable? If so any recommendations as to whats good?

Put the DVD burner in. A DVD burner can read CD's, as well as read DVD's and burn DVD's, and most likely, even burn CD's, so yeah, fit that in instead :)

Back
Top Bottom