Case Fan Help

wee2john

Baseband Member
Ok so looking at a case (X-Case Viper Case- Black - Red No Psu) and only one fan is included. It tells me the spaces for the others are as follows:

Front : 80/90/120 mm cooling fan (Intake)
Bottom : 120/140 mm cooling fan (Intake)
Top : 120/140 mm cooling fan (Exhaust)
Rear : 80/90/120 mm cooling fan(Exhaust)
Left : 80 mm with chassis air guide (Intake)
Right : 80x15 or 80 x 20 mm MB rear fan ( Intake)

My question is what does the intake and exhaust bit actually mean and are the intake and exhaust guides correct in the list above???

To see the other components go to this thread

The intake fans suck air from outside the case into the case.

The exhaust fans do the opposite - suck the hot air inside the case outside the case.

And the guide looks pretty standard to me. Fans at the front and sides usually suck air into the case and the fans at the top and rear of the case expel the air.

can you buy exhasut fans and intake fans or is it one way and the fan is intake and flipped around it is exhaust

can you buy exhasut fans and intake fans or is it one way and the fan is intake and flipped around it is exhaust
Yeah, you can buy any fan and depending on how you mounted it, it will either be an exhaust or intake fan. All you have to do to switch from exhaust to intake (or vice-versa) just unscrew it from the case, flip it around, and screw it back in. Then the fan will blow the air in the opposite direction.

ahh thanks very much was slightly confused.....

O yeah and if you have case fans do you also need HDD, CPU, GPU coolers, etc

ahh thanks very much was slightly confused.....

O yeah and if you have case fans do you also need HDD, CPU, GPU coolers, etc

You NEED a Cpu cooler, unless you like your computer running for only a few seconds.
GPU coolers are NEEDED only if you have a high end card (Don't worry, most cards that need a fan come with one, and all you do is just plug the card in)
You don't really need HDD coolers, but if you notice that your hard drive is running hot, just pop in a $20 fan.
If I was you, I would get two fans intakes minimum, and two exhausts minimum if you're a gamer.

ok cool, thanks for the advice. Im not really a gamer but that just cause my computer at the mo is not good enough, hopefully with a new custom one i will be :)

Back
Top Bottom