Capped Vs Uncapped Speeds

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

im just about to change my ISP and have been doing some looking into what download speeds i can have now i have done a test online on bt's web site and they say i can recieve 5mbps but i have phoned 3 or 4 companies including AOL, Tiscali and Orange and they have said i can only recieve 2 Mbps so i was thinkin who is right the phone line provider or 3 or 4 ISP's ????

i did a bit more research into this and it turns out that (this is what bt said) if you have uncapped download limit then the max speed is reduced BUT if you have a capped download limit i could recieve the full 5Mbps they actually said 'IT DOESNT MATTER IF AN ISP GAVE YOU A 500GB MOTNHLY DOWNLOAD LIMIT (just to get the point across) YOU COULD RECIEVE 5MBPS' but if you have unlimited they slow it down ???

is this true ??

coz i was looking into ecplipse internet which give you a 50Gb monthly usage and i was thinkin would i use 50 Gb a month ??? coz i cud really do with the extra speed

Well, The ISPs who said 2MBPS is actually right. You have up to 5MBPS, but that if the servers are in low traffic. When I had my 7MBPS connection, it went from around 1.1MBPS down to 760KBPS. The fastest I had was 30MBPS...but that was servers on steroids, type of thing.

Usually, it depends on server traffic AND the downloading source's native speed.

well thats the thing in actual downloadsi will probably only do about 20Gb a month but its web pages im worried about coz if im right (i hope so) then each web page you open is classed as a small download as you have to download the content of the web page to your pc screen correct ???

well if thats right then i would say im on my laptop between 4 - 11 hours a day constantly flicking between web pages ??? what about second life aswell im always on that does that involve n e form of downloading ?

(the 20Gb is usually films that i burn to disk after just so you dnt think i have a couple T/B storage)

You won't really notice a change in speed for page loadings, unless your on 56K or less. It will download preety fast.

I don't really know what's Second Life, but I assume it's a net game. Net games requires 56K or better, so you're ok.

Movies is going to take a while, but seriously, what doesn't? It's not really 6hrs, but like an hour.

Back
Top Bottom