Cant remove desktop shortcuts

filipesimoes

Solid State Member
Hello

Whenever I install a program on my PC a desktop shortcut is created. When I un-install the program however I cannot remove the desktop shortcut. When I try this is the error message:

This is no longer located in (blah blah blah). Verify the items location and try again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

POSSIBLY, use ccleaner that will uninstall it then registry scan it to get rid of icons. but, i could be wrong

That's odd. When I have needed to delete leftover shortcuts, I have right clicked them, selected delete, went through all the "are you sure" crap, and it was gone.

How are you removing the programs? Are you using their uninstaller or going through Add/Remove programs?

I am going through Control Panel Uninstall a Program. I am currently running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Yes,this is because when all the programme files are removed,the programme no longer exists.
Now,why it is no removing i dont know like Atomic Rooster said it usually goes after you right click+Delete+yes. It pops in the recycle bin unless you have it set otherwise.
So how are you attempting to delete this?
EDIT: So are you going on the desktop to delete the programme?

've tried both right click + delete + yes and dragging the folder to the recycle bin. In both instances I failed to delete the file.

try normal clicking once and pressing delete on your keyboard, also you could use a system tuneup program to get rid off all icons that dont go nowhere

Back
Top Bottom