Cannot ping my IP address

Marcx

Solid State Member
Hello,
I have an issue pinging(accessing) my IP address from the internet at work or friends place.
I can't ping my home PC (which is running XP) from the internet, at work. I have cable broadband internet, and a Netgear wireless router.
From the PC at home I can ping the IP address and it responds as it should.
I have wireless router, and I can ping the IP address from another of my home PC's too. But from over the internet I can't ping it.
Yes, I do have the correct external IP address. I am not trying to ping my internal IP (192.168.0.1)
I have no real idea why I can't ping from outside my home network. I do have ICMP enabled too. Could it be that my ISP is blocking ‘ping'.

I am just trying to ping my IP to see if my PC is reachable and up and running, because I would like to access my home PC over the internet. I'd like top access music, files, webpage, etc… I have apache web server setup and running. It works well from my home network. I have also set up an SSH server, for added security. It's a hobby for me, just learning at the moment. But I can't seem to access my PC at the moment outside my home network.

Thank you for your patience. :)

The Easiest way be able to acsess your PC From outside of the network would be to De-Milatirize your computer's IP.What Kind of router do you have?

you need to find the option in your routers setup option where it says if the internet interface will respond to pings or not.

turn this on and it should work.

Back
Top Bottom