Can your CPU run without a heatsink?

Yeah. However, one advantage that Intel has always had is it's thermal protection. If the CPU heat passes the threshold, then the CPU automatically shuts off for momentary cooling. AMD, however, lacks this feature. But hey, everyone knows that heat is a computer's enemy, right? :p

Yeah Amd will just start smoking once the heatsink is taken offf.

Here's a little story: I was an IDIOT, and ran my computer without one....Long story short, my computer doesnt work anymore. So no, dont do it. I am taking my computer in today to see what works still and what doesnt. I have a P4 530J 3.0GHz.

D

My old cpu..i think it is a Intel Something at like 833mhz, i have to go look, but it has no fan or heatsink......and its been running like that for about 2 weeks now..

Those sorts of CPU's aren't very complex though and probably wouldn't product alot of heat.

The Pentium 2 I have on my very old PC for example (a slot based processor) only has a fan on it.

Plus, AMD has tried to implement thermal protection, but they just don't work fast enough...

What would happen if you took just the fan off. Would an AMD burn up then?

I had a Celeron 333MHZ CPU in Slot1 without a fan...it ran fine

And it's the heatsink that is more vital for the CPU as it takes away it's heat...the fan cools the heatsink

Back
Top Bottom