Can someone recommend a GOOD external hard drive brand?

CoolRabbit

Baseband Member
I am looking to buy a TB external hard drive for storage of large video files. These files will need to be occasionally accessed for editing, but the hard drive will be mainly used for storage. I have looked on many websites (NewEgg, etc.) and it seems every brand has people who love it and people who swear it is junk, so I am confused. I would like to hear from any of you that have and/or use an external hard drive of similar size - what brand and what are the pros and cons you have found? I am not too worried about price as long as I get a GOOD reliable drive that will last for many years.

Yes, I am looking for an external hard drive that I can use with multiple computers. I have been doing a little research and I probably want one that has Firewire and USB capabilities. I am confused as to the type of firewire - I have a firewire installed on one of my computers. How can you tell if it is an IEEE 1394a or IEEE1394b?

I looked at the Seagate and Western digital as recommended and there are SO many different models I am still confused.

I am looking for at least 1TB. I think that should take care of my needs nicely, though I wouldn't say no to a 1.5 or 2TB. I'd like to stay under $150 if possible...my main concern is quality and reliability.

I am looking for at least 1TB. I think that should take care of my needs nicely, though I wouldn't say no to a 1.5 or 2TB. I'd like to stay under $150 if possible...my main concern is quality and reliability.

Are you opposed to building your own? You simply by the external enclosure and the hard drive and then attach the HDD inside the x-enclosure. That's the easiest way to ensure quality and reliablity. Most of these off the shelf externals offer no cooling...not good!

If I can suggest something, I just ordered two of these combo deals off of NewEgg (I wouldn't normally do this, but the combo deal is basically throwing in a free docking station AND giving you 15 bucks off the hard drive...which is a wonderful hard drive at that!)

Here's the HDD.

And here's the external enclosure I would recommend. I have used 3 of these. All have worked BEAUTIFULLY (they are USB + eSATA..you can use either; comes with the power adapter).

Total cost = $86 + $40 = $126.

Back
Top Bottom